Tuesday, June 16, 2009

'Going Up the Country'

Today, for the first time, a friend took me back to Marysville to visit home.
I'd been putting it off, trying to ignore all that has happened, but the whole denial thing was wearing thin and it was time to actually believe it.
It wasn't as bad as I had thought it'd be.
I cried more imagining going back than I did going back.
The hardest part was when it came to seeing the area where my darling Lucy was buried, but all in all it was a worthwhile trip, and I'm glad I went.
The towns looking ok, (considering).
I still know exactly where I am, wherever I am.
There are still significant landmarks like the trees, the roads etc.
It still looks like Marysville, and like my friend said, it still feels like home.

I'm not going to post photographs of the destruction around.
Everyone knows and has seen what's happened, so there's no need.
I will show a couple of cool things though.



Ok so this was the tree our family called Marge's head. Or as Dad says 'Madge's head' because he couldn't remember her name and it seemed to stick.
It basically looked like a massive version of Marge from the Simpsons hair, and now looks like some kind of mutant scorpion.
I think it looks pretty cool!

And lastly



One of the few trees left, is the tree that I engraved my 'loves' initials into.
I love DA.
I can't really remember loving him enough to engrave it into a tree, but I must have! Haha. I believe I 'went out' with DA for 3 days in early Primary School.
We didn't even hold hands haha.
I believe about a week after breaking up with DA (according to one of my old diaries that I re-read when I turned 21) I then went out/fell in love with AL!
Oh how easy it is to get over a true love when you're young! Haha.

Later that day, we ventured to Alexandra, home of our high school, our lunchtime chip shop, and a closed opshop (oh the tears nearly came back I swear!!)
We had some lunch, bought a ton of 'cheer up' lollies, visited the book shop... well every shop, and then walked through memory lane back at the high school.
We giggled as we sneaked through the corridors, bitched about fellow ex students / teachers, looked at school photos, and remembered memories that only we'd find hilarious.

It was a good weird day!

Annnd that's my update on that whole situation. :)

5 comments:

amy said...

mmm. funny how much you remember when you're a bit older hey.

and i bet you were spewing about the Alex oppy.. i popped in there on my way to lake eildon national park when we went skiing in summer. got the cutest old bag. bet you would find a tonne of treasures in there.

i remember marysville, my granny n grampa used to live 2 houses down from the BP. it was always cold but i loved it. i remember the creek and the park across the road. lake mountain. i was probably 4 or 5. oh the memories.

Rosie Unknown said...

Wow, that was brave of you to go back.

Missa said...

Sounds like you were able to make the best of the situation, good to hear :)

Also, thanks for your comment the other day, it was really sweet!

P.S. That scorpion tree is wild.

Charity Shop Charmer said...

Dear Trish,

I have been reading your blog for the last two months and really enjoying it. I love vintage, too, and have been op shopping since last century (well, the 1980s, at any rate). I'd also like to say that my parents' house burnt down in the 2003 Canberra Inferno. Much of our suburb was obliterated and my parents were very lucky to survive. And yes, on a more materialistic note, I lost a fabulous wardrobe of vintage clothes...but remember that there are always new finds out there! ...and you have the 'vintage knack' and are always finding fab new things.

Good on you for going back - I know what it's like. Fond memories will always be there for you when you need them. I hope the day brought some peace to you, despite the devastation. It's also true that time does heal. May you discover this as well. Yours in vintage!

trishhunterfinds said...

Amy - Hii, Haha yeah you remember heaps more when you're older, I think it's just that you don't consider the things you did as memories when they were happening.
Ohhh absolutely spewing!!! At least I'm not scared to go back now so I can go soon :) I could already see two things I wanted just in the window. Killed me.
2 houses down from the BP? I can't imagine where as there's only shops, Oh was it next to the Olde Yarra Track? Long time ago now gosh!

Rosie - Haha I was far from brave. If i were brave I'd have gone back ages ago. Im a big woose haha.

Missa - Yess, definitely made the best out of it for sure! I wouldn't have gone back with anyone else. We definitely had a good laugh.

Charity Shop Charmer - Oh an opshopper from way back!! You probably look at some of the things I pick up and think, Gosh they were EVERYWHERE all those years ago ahha.
I'm so sorry to hear about your parents house, and your beautiful vintage wardrobe too!
I'm lucky enough to not have lived there at the time, so all of my finds stayed safe.
The things I did lose were the sentimental things unfortunately, all my diaries, toys, school books etc, all the childhood stuff which is unfortunate, but can't be helped I guess.
The worst thing we lost was the feeling of having a safe place to go to if we were to get into trouble, or were out of a home etc.
The day definitely brought peace, and let me lose the fear I had, so now I can go back in a different state.
Thanks for reading :) I'd love to see some of your finds!

Trish

My lovely followers

Trish Hunter Finds fans on Facebook!