Monday, May 11, 2009

I've been everywhere, man!

So today was my day off.
I decided to take off on a massive opshopping binge, and do the eastern suburbs.
I used to frequent these spots, and would come home with garbage bags full of things, so today I was very excited.
I planned my route. I'm a big planner, it's half the fun!
Traveling via public transport, this is where I went.

Home > Greensborough > Box Hill > Ringwood > Lilydale > Croydon > Ringwood > Bayswater > Ferntree Gully > Box Hill > Greensborough.

Big day.
All together I went to 21 opshops.
TWENTY ONE.
Who would have thought that was even physically possible in one day, never mind adding the whole public transport element to it.
I bet you're pretty keen to see what I picked up!
Would you believe me if I told you that I bought absolutely nothing?
Well nothing for me anyway. I bought a costume for work but that's not included.
I got back to Greensborough feeling very sorry for myself, so reverted to Savers to try to remove the pout that had stuck pretty firmly to my face.
I didn't buy much, but at least I got a couple of things.



I'm always on the look out for these cute, or in this case kind of scary, plastic toys. Deb from Angel Wings and Hearts seems to pick them up like they're as common as 'Scream' on VHS is.
I'm always very very jealous!! I was oh so excited when I found this guy.






Another set of scales. I don't have a set like this though.
These are to be mounted onto a wall, and the cover flips down to become the (not sure of word) plate?



This bath robe is fabulous! It's new vintage, and so cute I just adore it.

I also got a pair of bathers and a black dress that was torture to photograph so I'm just going to wear it and show you then... well the dress anyway.

I really had no need to venture out of my territory today.
I guess I can tell myself that if I hadn't have gone, I wouldn't have known.
A large grudge is being held against the eastern suburbs and I don't see it budging for quite some time.

Oh and Lilydale!! My favorite opshop there now has a dealer from Camberwell come down to price all of their stock. They have some really great items, but they're at just below antique shop prices. Not a bargain in site.



Completely off the subject, last time I went to Dad's new house, he showed me this.



This was our back door key from Marysville. I asked if I could have it because I can't think of anything that could represent everything that has happened more than a key. I'm so glad I have it.
I still haven't been back yet. I think I want to now, but I'm still super scared.
My Dad and Brother have been and found a few things. They thankfully found Dad's dad's, and Grandpa's war medals, some clay things we made in highschool, a knife that our Grandpa made, and a few other random bits and pieces.
Apparently there were little bits of Santa's and other Christmas decorations too!

My key is one of my most favorite and treasured things, so I thought I'd show you, and give you a little update on it all.

Well my well walked legs are ready for bed.
It's almost time to unpack my electric blanket I think! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Goodnight.

7 comments:

Bucca said...

that bath robe is lovely! and I'm glad your family have beena able to at least get a few precious items back !

Holly said...

*Gasp!*

That fluoro pink rabbit is just what I would buy :) If only i could find them...

zigsma said...

The key is beautiful.

I wonder if the Camberwell dealer charges for his 'service'.

I always have to remind myself that the proceeds go to charity and to not be outraged at some prices. But finding a 'bargain' is truly one of life's little pleasures.

Don't give up on the eastern suburbs. Come to Kew!

angel wings and hearts said...

hi trish,

he he he. i saw that little fellow last week at greensy savers. his colours were a bit bright and i wasn't sure of his vintage (obviously he was a bit young and racey for this old gal!) so i left him there. i am glad you have him now tho'. (commented over at the other blog on this as well). very slim pickings these days "oping" thats for sure. i haven't picked up much of late.

deb
xx

Grace said...

when i went to melbourne i went to the box hill opshops!... i think. they were great when i visited. Melbourne opshops are so much cheaper than sydney.

and no, i dont think I've asked you about night shift before... although now you've got me wondering if I did or not?! Id love it if you kept an eye out for it :)

harbourmaster said...

I'm really glad some stuff turned up from the house. Passing on bits of history is so important and it's nice to have them in a tactile form.

I can't believe you did 21 shops in one day. you make me tired!

Hammie said...

Brave you for doing the 21 opshops. I can do about 10 in one day but that is in London and I bus it around. I can usually find at least two around Queensway, Notting Hill, Fulham Road, Chelsea, Kensington High Street, etc

I start local to my hotel though, so if I find Maxmara and Burberry in the Trinity Hospice shop on Queensway, then I can whiz back to the room and pack it in my suitcase to be stored in the cloakroom all day, saves me schlepping it around.

I find it sets the tone of the day too if you find a good thing early, you can be choosier as you go on.

I am really glad to hear you found the key. So brave of your Dad and Bro to go back.
xx

My lovely followers

Trish Hunter Finds fans on Facebook!